Supercharged Chocolate Bark
Chocolate bark is a classic holiday treat… but I won’t hold it against you if you want to whip up a batch anytime of year!
This tasty treat is supercharged with brain boosting Lion’s Mane mushroom.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cacao butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 ½ tsp. LION’S MANE extract
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup goji berries, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. dried wild blueberries
- 3 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon), optional
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment.
- Place cacao butter and maple syrup in a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cacao powder, Lion’s Mane extract, maca and fine sea salt, whisking out any lumps.
- Remove bowl with cacao butter mixture from heat, wiping any moisture off bottom of bowl. Whisk cacao powder mixture into cacao butter mixture until smooth. Fold in half of berries and seeds.
- With a spatula, scrape the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan or sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle on the remaining dried fruit and seeds. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt, if desired.
- Gently press with your hands to help toppings adhere.
- Refrigerate or freeze until firm. Break into pieces and serve.
(Keep leftovers covered and refrigerated, or wrap well and freeze.)
- The chocolate is definitely on the richer/less sweet side. You can up the maple by 1 to 2 Tbsp. if you prefer it sweeter.
- If you like your chocolate thinner, use a 9-inch pan lined with parchment.
- I broke it into uneven pieces, but you can cut the chocolate into more even bars with a sharp chef’s knife, if you prefer.
- Mix it up: Use dried cherries instead of the goji berries (be sure to chop them), currants instead of the blueberries, nuts instead of the seeds, etc. Or swap mint extract for the vanilla.