Best EVER Mushroom Tacos – No Meat Al Pastor
Make some time this week to try the best ever mushroom tacos.
Mushrooms make such a good replacement for meat. If you don’t agree, this taco might change your mind!
CHIPOTLE PINEAPPLE SAUCE
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- ⅓ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 cups FRESH pineapple chunks
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
OTHER SKEWER INGREDIENTS
- 227 g cremini mushrooms, stems removed, whole or sliced in half if large
- 227 g button mushrooms, stems removed, whole or sliced in half if large
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 200 g oyster mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 sweet onion, wide slices
- 4 skinned and sliced pineapple rounds (1-2 cm thick)
CHIPOTLE LIME GARLIC SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp chipotle hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Guacamole, cilantro, minced onion and lime wedges
- Make the chipotle pineapple sauce. In a blender or food processor combine the garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, chipotle chilies, vinegar, pineapple chunks, and olive oil. Blend until completely smooth. Stir in the sesame seed.
- Clean and prepare mushrooms. Once prepared, pour chipotle pineapple sauce over and let marinade for 2 hours, to overnight. Reserve a small amount of sauce to top onto finished tacos (you’ll thank me later).
- On metal skewers load on pineapple rounds and alternate different mushrooms and onions. Firmly compact onto skewer.
- Baked on a lined baking tray for 20 – 25 minutes at 475. Rotate frequently to keep juices even and avoid burning. Alternatively, you can chop the mushrooms, pineapple and onion and fry in a fry pan until they have cooked down and started to caramelize/brown.
- Once cooked, stand skewer tall and slice the baked mixture off of the skewer. Spread guacamole onto warmed taco shells and top with mushroom mix, minced onion, cilantro, chipotle lime garlic sauce and some reserved chipotle pineapple sauce.
- Drizzle with lime juice and serve immediately.