Mushroom Jerky is an AMAZING vegan snack… if you do it right! In our video, we made 4 different types of mushroom jerky using Lion’s Mane, Maitake, Shiitake and King Oyster to try and find the best one. We loved the lion’s mane the best, but see what works for you!
Mushroom Jerky Marinade Recipe:
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp steak spice
- 2 tsp sambal
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Obtain dried mushrooms (we like Lion’s Mane, but you can also use any other dried mushroom like Maitake, Shiitake or King Oyster).
- Slice dried mushrooms, about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat coconut oil, pour over mushrooms to coat (use enough to coat mushrooms). This will start to absorb into mushrooms and soften them before marinating. We used about 1 cup on the amount of sliced mushrooms we had.
- Mix up marinade, add to dried oiled mushrooms.
- Mix around until coated.
- Add mushrooms to a pot, cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook until mushrooms are softened (add more water if necessary to fully soften dried mushrooms). Cook until all liquid is boiled off.
- Dehydrate for about 4-6 hours (or until desired level of dryness)
- Enjoy! (store in fridge up to 2 weeks)