Cold winter days got you feeling ugh?
This is the time of year where you can find me curled up on the couch with a hot drink and a book.
My new hot obsession is golden milk, also known as turmeric tea.
Turmeric has been studied for its many benefits including;
- antioxidant properties,
- relieves arthritis pain,
- eases symptoms of depression,
- builds heart health.
Golden milk is easy to whip up from scratch- or for those trying to save a few minutes you can prepare turmeric paste to have on hand.
Turmeric paste can also be added to other recipes like soup, yogurt or stir fry.
These recipes include two ingredients that you do not want to leave out- black pepper and coconut oil.
Black pepper massively increases the absorption of the turmeric.
The absorption of turmeric is also aided by fat, making coconut oil a perfect choice to add to these recipes.
1. Golden Milk – Supercharged with Medicinal Mushrooms
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ULTIMATE mushroom complex powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Black pepper
- Pinch of mineral salt
- Raw honey (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and gently heat over low heat.
- Whisk well or use a hand blender.
- Serve warm.
2. Golden Milk Turmeric Paste
- 1/2 cup turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ULTIMATE Mushroom complex
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp mineral salt
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or ghee)
- 1/3 cup raw honey (optional)
- Over low/medium heat combine turmeric with water, bring to a very gentle simmer, stirring until a paste is formed.
- Combine ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper and sea salt.
- Once paste is formed add the mixed spices, continuing to stir, until mixture has become a thick paste.
- Remove from heat and add coconut oil and honey, stir until mixed.
- Pour into a clean jar. Let cool, mixture will thicken as it cools, then add lid. Shake to prevent separation. Store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- For golden milk – heat 2 cups of coconut milk in a saucepan. Add 1tsp – 2tbsp and whisk or blend. Bring to a gentle simmer and then serve warm.
Golden milk is great to drink any time of the day. I especially enjoy it at night to help me wind down from busy stressful days. I hope you enjoy these recipes and they keep you cozy and comforted on these cold autumn days.