These mushroom skulls are eerily delicious! Try them out as a spooky side dish or add to your favorite pasta recipe or quinoa salad. BON APPETIT!
- 1 – 454 g container button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- garlic powder, or to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Clean and halve your mushrooms. If needed, cut down the stems to straighten the edge.
- Use a plastic or metal straw to make two holes for eyes on the cap of each mushroom. Twisting the straw or squeezing sometimes helps to remove each piece.
- Make a triangular cut between the eyes on each cap to make a skull nose.
- Next, make small parallel cuts on the stem of the mushroom to form the teeth.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan and once melted, add your mushrooms, skull side up.
- Add a splash of water to encourage the mushrooms to “bleed out” (release their juices).
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes over medium heat with a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Once mushrooms start to brown, flip and sauté for another 30 seconds. Don’t sauté too long face-side down or the mushrooms start to lose their shape.
- Remove from heat and enjoy your spooky Mushroom Skulls on their own or add to your favorite pasta dish, quinoa salad, etc!